Retrieving data from FRS
25 Feb 2010
DataLink for FRS
The DataLink for FRS software provides automated data download from the Field PC, database clean up and compaction, as well as more advanced data export features (such as including additional plot identifiers and other data in export files). It is available to download from the following webpage.
DataLink for FRS
Note: If Datalink for FRS is unable clean up or compact the database, manually delete all extension FCS files from the Database folder, and then run DataLink for FRS again.
The most basic way to retrieve field map data from the Field Research Software (FRS) is to export the data. To export the data, follow these steps:
- Open FRS on the Field PC.
- Tap on Setup (or press F3), Database Tools, and then "Export data to CSV".
- Tap on the "Map Name:" drop-down box, and then tap on the name of the field map which you would like to export.
- Make sure the export file name displayed in the "Filename:" field is similar to the field map name, and that the file name does not contain any non-alphanumeric characters (such as slashes, quote marks, etc.), and then Tap Next (or press F4).
- If you have previously exported or attempted to export data from this field map, tap on the "Include previously exported data" checkbox to check the box, and then tap Export (or press F4).
Note: The exported data by default should be contained in the My Computer\ C_Drive\ FRS\ Export\ folder on the Allegro, which can be viewed using the PTab spreadsheet program.
For additional information on exporting data from FRS, please read Chapter 9 starting on page 112 of the
FRS Note Taking Reference Guide.
If you are unable to export data from FRS, data is automatically backed up (in FRS version 1.4.0 and higher) to CSV files contained in the My Computer\ C_Drive\ FRS\ folder under the "NoteTakingBackup" and "HarvestBackUp" folders on the Allegro. These files can be viewed using the PTab spreadsheet program.
JSRebuild Database Repair Tool
If you had to retrieve your data from the backup folders (or have yet to retrieve your data), and you are still unable to open a field map in or export data from FRS, then it is recommended to re-build the database in FRS using the JSRebuild tool. Instructions for each are provided below.
Note: It is recommended to create a backup copy of the My Computer\ C_Drive\ FRS\ Database\ folder on the Allegro or to a desktop PC before running the below utility.
To re-build the database using JSRebuild, follow these steps:
- Double-tap on My Computer > C_Drive > FRS folder, and then on the "JSRebuild" icon.
- Plug the wall charger into the Allegro.
- Tap on the Start button.
- Allow the JSRebuild several minutes to re-build the database. When complete, tap OK to close the tool. Note: If the JSRebuild program does not complete the rebuild, delete all extension FCS files from the Database folder, then run JSRebuild again starting at step 1.
- Close the My Computer window, run FRS, and try opening the field map data in Collect (F1), or Maps (F2) and then View (F4).
- If you were able to view the field map in Collect or Maps, then again try exporting the data as explained in the "Export Data" section above.
Delete and Re-Create Database
If you are still unable to view or export data, then it is recommended to delete and then re-create the database in FRS. It is recommended at this point to use the data contained in the backup folders as explained above.
Note: If the backup folders do not contain all the data needed to be retrieved, then create a copy of the database folder before deleting it from the Allegro, and then
email or FTP the database folder to us along with the names of the field maps needing to be retrieved.
To delete and then re-create the database, follow these steps:
- On the Allegro, double-tap on My Computer > C_Drive > FRS folder.
- Tap once on the "Database" folder to highlight it, and then tap on File > Delete. Tap Yes to confirm the permanent deletion.
- Close the My Computer window, and then run FRS. FRS will automatically create a new blank database once it has completed opening.
Note: If FRS will not finish opening (showing the spinning hour glass continuously), then the Allegro may need to be reset by tapping on Start > Programs > Utilities > Reset System. If it still will not open, it is recommended to uninstall and then re-install the latest version of FRS following the installation instructions.